Monday, December 17, 2007

Christmas Time is Here




Hip-hip-hooray for a neat and tidy, laid-back piano trio! That there is some of the most intimate, personal music around. I'm talking about piano, bass, drums. Its like getting my hand held for the first time by a cute boy - nothing heavy, just sweet. Piano trios get into me right at the deep, soft spot I have for chamber music. I like music one has to be quiet to hear.

As its the Christmas time, I'm listening to a favorite Christmas album and favorite piano trio, the Vince Guaraldi Trio's A Charlie Brown Christmas. There is a psalm about dwelling in the secret places of God, and a Charlie Brown Christmas is on the soundtrack to these secret places. It perfectly captures a few distinct sounds: being warm and safe indoors on a quiet, dark gray day; romping in the bright snow, safe and warm and bundled against the cold; and of course, there's the exuberance of the Peanuts theme song, Linus and Lucy, which sounds like a childhood of freedom and simplicity the wise-beyond-their-years Peanut gang never actually seemed to live.

(I guess should mention I think Peanuts is a work of genius, but that's a whole other topic entirely.)

No comments:

Post a Comment